***New pet friendly shelter and boarding locations will be added as we receive information!!***
Oh Pupsters! The beginning of October is bringing FL, GA, SC, & NC another potentially devastating disaster just one year after the 1000 year flood that hit these states, and my home in Charleston, SC hard! Hurricane Matthew is approaching SC quickly and I want to provide resources for hurricane evacuees with pets with information for pet friendly evacuation shelters, housing accommodations, discounted housing and animal boarding, and other pet friendly hotels and options that may be available for you and/or your fur babies! Many of our animal shelters in South Carolina have been already been evacuated and many pups are in need of places to stay! Here are some of the places I have found helping pups and their hoomans in need!
SC Pet Friendly Hurricane Shelters:
- Burns Elementary School: 3795 Spruill Ave, North Charleston 29405 All pet friendly shelters require current vaccinations, food, water, leashes and/or crates. Animal Control will be on site for assistance with pets. 843-746-3900 #hurricanematthew
- Cane Bay High School: 1624 State Road, Summerville, SC. All animals must be caged. (843) 826-5895
- None available (843) 832-0393
Pet Friendly Hurricane Shelters Spartanburg, SC
- Spartanburg Expo Center: 6655 Pottery Road, Spartanburg, SC 29303
- Aiken Fairgrounds: 561 May Royal Drive, Aiken, SC. Angie at 803-646-2983
Pet Friendly Hurricane Shelters Augusta, SC
- Augusta County Fairgrounds fairgrounds is open for evacuee intakes. Augusta Animal Services is prepared to shelter pets of evacuees. Local residents who wish to help are asked to bring crates and pet food to the Animal Services shelter at 4164 Mack Lane.
- Pets are NOT allowed in human shelters. HOWEVER, for hurricane shelter evacuees staying in Colleton County hurricane shelters that have pets, those pets may be taken to the Colleton County Animal Shelter for free boarding during Hurricane Matthew.
Pet Boarding for SC Hurricane Matthew Evacuees:
- Pet a coat junction: 3379 Emanuel church road Lexington SC 29073 (803-951-PETS) – offering discounted rates to evacuees
- AirBNB offering discounts and/or free pet stays to evacuees. Many home owners willing to negotiate normal pet terms
Animal Friendly Hurricane Pet Boarding Greer, SC
- Upstate Dog Training and Pet Resort on Hwy. 14. 864-895-5355.
- FREE boarding for evacuees with proof of vaccines (rabies, distemper combo, and bordatella).
Animal Friendly Hurricane Pet Boarding Greenville, SC
- Greenville County Animal Care: 328 Furman Hall Rd Greenville, SC
- FREE boarding of dog or cat for Charleston County evacuees.
- Includes FREE shots and microchip necessary for boarding
GA Pet Friendly Hurricane Shelters:
Animal Friendly Hurricane Pet Boarding Richmond County, GA
- Augusta Exchange Club Fairgrounds, 301 Hale Street, Augusta, GA 30901
- A pet friendly shelter for dogs, cats, birds, livestock, and horses
- None available
- Public shelters will not. However, there will be designated pet shelters nearby in each of the host counties where there are public shelters. Owners will be informed of these locations upon reporting to the reception centers. They will be expected to sign Waivers and properly register their pet. Exotic pets (e.g., reptiles) will not be accepted. Evacuees who need public transportation to reach host county shelters (i.e., Category 3-5 storms) will be allowed to bring the pets on buses if they are in travel carriers. Evacuees using public transportation to local shelters (i.e., Category 1-2 storms) will have to leave the pets behind or make other arrangements.
FL Pet Friendly Hurricane Shelters:
Pet Friendly Hurricane Shelters Brevard County, FL 321-637-6670
- Port St. John Community Center, at 6650 Corto Road
- Viera Regional Park, at 2300 Judge Fran Jamieson Way
- Ted Whitlock Community Center, at Palm Bay Regional Park, 1951 Malabar Road NW, Palm Bay
Pet Friendly Hurricane Shelters Flagler County, FL
- Bunnell Elementary School (Pet Friendly), 305 N Palmetto St., Bunnell. In Bunnell, 2 blocks north of SR 100, via Orange Street
Pet Friendly Hurricane Shelters Osceola County, FL
- Kissimmee Middle School at 2410 Dyer Blvd, Kissimmee, FL
- Harmony High School at 3601 Arthur J Gallagher Blvd, St. Cloud., FL
- Liberty High School at 4250 Pleasant Hill Rd., Kissimmee, FL
Pet Friendly Hurricane Shelters Volusia County, FL
- Volusia County Fairgrounds, 3150 E. State Road 44, DeLand
- (SpNS) Atlantic High School, 1250 Reed Canal Road, Port Orange
- (SpNS) Creekside Middle School, 6801 Airport Road, Port Orange
- (SpNS) Heritage Middle School, 1001 Parnell Court, Deltona
- Hinson Middle School, 1860 N. Clyde Morris Blvd., Daytona Beach
- (SpNS) Galaxy Middle School, 2400 Eustace Ave., Deltona
- NOTE:Small animals only, must be crated and cared for by owners (leash, food, water must be brought and will not be provided); will be housed in a separate location at shelter. Only the Volusia County Fairgrounds houses people and pets in the same location
Pet Boarding for FL Hurricane Matthew Evacuees:
Livestock Shelter Marion County, FL
- Southeastern Livestock Pavilion at 2232 NE Jacksonville Road , Ocala, FL. $10/day. All livestock will be accepted during 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Owners will need to provide food, water buckets and care for their animals. There are 188 stalls available. For more information call 352-671-8600.
NC Pet Friendly Hurricane Shelters:
- Newport Middle School, 500 E. Chatham Street, Newport, NC 28577.
- Companion Hurricane Shelter pet area manned by PAWS Volunteers.
Pet Boarding for Hurricane Matthew in NC:
- Buddy’s Bed and Biscuit, home of FurBabies Animal Rescue in Indian Trail, NC
- Will need records of vaccines (rabies, bordatella, distemper/parvo)
- Limited space available. Please call ahead if possible (704) 977-5197
- Discounted rates; 501c3 Rescues board FREE.
Equine Boarding for Hurricane Matthew Evacuees:
FENCE has opened up its stabling.828-859-9021, firstname.lastname@example.org, Tracie Hanson, ED at 828-817-3594 to reserve a stall.
As of 10pm Tuesday we have 100 stalls still available. Stall fee is waived and bags of shavings at $6 each.
Pet Friendly Hotels
****Stay tuned for pupdates and fundraising efforts by My Name Is Milk****
Wanna help me raise supplies for the pups and shelters? Click here to help donate towards my shelter fundraiser!